Ontario Supports Farmers with Farmers' Market and On-Farm Sales
Local Food Industry Gets a Boost During Agriculture Week
TORONTO - As part of Ontario's Agriculture Week celebration, Ernie Hardeman, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, announced the government's investments in the Ontario Farm Fresh Marketing Association and Farmers' Markets Ontario, two important organizations that connect farmers with consumers through direct sales experiences.
"We are proud of Ontario's hardworking farmers who grow and sell local food directly to consumers," said Minister Hardeman. "Whether you visit a farmers' market, farm gate or on-farm market to purchase local food, you are supporting our local farmers and Ontario's agri-food industry."
Ontario is home to almost 46,900 farms that grow over 200 agricultural commodities. More than 7,000 farms engage in direct sales with consumers, which is higher than any other province. Foodland Ontario works in partnership with Ontario Farm Fresh Marketing Association and Farmers' Markets Ontario to promote all the good things that are grown and made in Ontario.
"We look forward to continuing our excellent relationship with the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, said Kristin Ego MacPhail, President of Ontario Farm Fresh Marketing Association. "This funding allows OFFMA to increase awareness and sales of local food at on-farm markets across the province."
"Farmers' Markets Ontario is proud to continue its partnership with OMAFRA and Foodland Ontario to increase public engagement and support for agriculture, local food and rural development," said Catherine Clark, Executive Director of Farmers' Markets Ontario.
The Ontario government supports Farmers' Markets Ontario and Ontario Farm Fresh Marketing Association because buying local supports the province's farmers, economy and a sustainable environment.
- Ontario is celebrating Agriculture Week from October 7-13, 2019. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to learn more about this special week.
- Visit Foodland Ontario’s Availability Guide to know what is seasonally available in Ontario.
- To learn more and find an on-farm market, farm-gate and pick-your-own farms, visit Ontario Farm Fresh Marketing Association.
- To learn more and find a local farmers’ market near you, visit Farmers’ Markets Ontario.
- Visit MyPick® for more information on Farmers’ Markets Ontario’s verified local farmer program.