Mobile Home Park fined $3,000 for Ontario Water Resources Act Violation
Convicted - Rupert Acres Limited
Court Location – Sault Ste. Marie
Description of Offence – The conviction relates to failing to comply with one or more items on a ministry approval, within the allocated timelines.
Date of Offence – During the period beginning on or about February 1, 2018 and ending on or about April 30, 2018.
Date of Conviction – September 25, 2019
Penalty Imposed – Rupert Acres Limited was convicted of one violation under the Ontario Water Resources Act and was sentenced to a fine of $3,000 plus a victim fine surcharge of $750 with 12 months to pay.
- Rupert Acres Limited owns/operates a mobile home park on Rupert Acres Drive in the District of Algoma which services 90 homes through a sewage collection system governed by the requirements of an environmental compliance approval issued by the ministry.
- Under the approval, the company is required to conduct monthly sampling from two monitoring wells.
- In January 2019, the ministry was advised that the sewage collection system could not be sampled and tested due to issues with accessing specific monitoring wells on various dates.
- Further inspection indicated that the company had failed to monitor the sewage system with sampling and testing, in violation of the ministry approval.
- The ministry’s Investigations and Enforcement Branch investigated and laid charges resulting in one conviction.